- Step 1
Choose the right journal
- Step 2
- Step 3
- Step 4
Promote your research
Choose the right journal
- Read your chosen journal’s Author Guidelines thoroughly and ensure that your manuscript aligns with them. Still not sure what journal is right for you? Here are six tips to help you choose the best journal for your research.
- Prepare your manuscript. You can also review our manuscript preparation guidelines to help maintain consistency in language, formatting, and visual style.
- Try a professional editing service. Wiley Editing Services can help with preparing your article through comprehensive editing, formatting, translation, and journal recommendation.
- Consider using a language editing service The English Language Editing service pairs you with a native English-speaking editor, with expertise in your subject area, to create a polished, submission-ready manuscript – saving you valuable time and energy.
- Review publishing ethics. Ethical publishing leads to a better science community, where everyone is valued and everyone is responsible for the work they do. Read our top 10 publishing ethics tips.
Looking for more resources to help prepare your article?
Make sure your article is discoverable
- Create more opportunities for others to recognize and discover your work. Add your ORCID iD during submission so your work will be linked back to you.
- Optimize your article’s search engine discoverability. Include key words in your abstract and article title. For more tips, view our PDF guide.
- Use the right keywords throughout your article, but make sure that they flow naturally and in a contextual way. Want more help choosing keywords? Here are 6 tips for selecting more effective keywords to get your research seen and shared.
- Create relevant and high-quality illustrations. You can also consider using the Academic Illustration service where graphic design specialists will turn your ideas into high quality figures and illustrations for your article – helping your research findings stand out.
Looking for more resources to help ensure your article is discoverable?
Check that you are fully compliant with your institution or funder policies and select and pay for open access if appropriate
- Use the Author Compliance Tool to check your chosen journal’s policies against your institution’s or funder’s requirements on open access, ORCID, and data sharing. You can also see if any open access funding is available.
- Consider your open access options. Open access articles are freely available to read, download, and share. There are a number of ways you can make your research open access with Wiley:
- If you choose open access, remember to indicate who will pay your APCs.
- If you are submitting to a fully open access journal, you will be asked to indicate who will pay for your open access fees during the payment step of the submission process.
- If you are submitting to a hybrid journal and want to publish your article open access, select OnlineOpen on your Author Services dashboard when your article is accepted for publication.
- Share and cite your research data. Authors of articles published in Wiley journals are encouraged to share their research data. Learn more about Wiley’s data sharing and citation policies.
Looking for more resources to better understand your open access options?
Start thinking about how you will promote your research
- Familiarize yourself with promotional tools that you can use to ensure that your article gets read, shared, and cited. Get a head start by following these eight steps to getting your work noticed.
- Create a short video or a Video Abstract to turn your findings into an engaging and accessible overview perfect for sharing. Articles with Video Abstracts receive 111% more downloads on Wiley Online Library and 447% higher Altmetric Attention scores.
- Consider how you can publicize your research and connect your institutions communications department to see if a press release would be a good way to communicate your findings. You can also use the Research News Story service, where science writers connect the conceptual and the practical to make your research understandable for a general audience – enabling the wider public to see the value of your work.
- Share your article by using the “Share Article” button on your Author Services dashboard to generate a unique sharing link to a full-text, read-only version of your article that can be shared with unlimited people.